STUDENT DRESS CODE H-3.6
GUIDLINES FOR COMPLIANCE
This student dress code policy shall apply to all students in grades Pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade. This policy shall apply to all students attending public schools in Iberia Parish beginning with the 2000-2001 School Year.
The policy of the Iberia Parish School Board shall be that no mode of attire will be considered proper for school wear that disrupts the classroom and/or the school’s positive learning environment. In all questions regarding dress and grooming, the school administration has the prerogative of deciding whether a student’s appearance is disruptive to the learning process, or so offensive or suggestive as to distract other students. Such appearances shall not be allowed.
The Board desires to teach each student to use good judgment in his/her total appearance so that the attention of others is not distracted from the purpose of the school. Cleanliness and the values of the community shall be a basic consideration.
Student dress and grooming are not to adversely affect the students’ participation in classes, school programs, other school-related activities or detract from the learning environment of the school. Extremes in style and fit in student dress and extremes in style of grooming will not be permitted. Administrators are authorized to use their discretion in determining extremes in styles of dress and grooming and what is appropriate and suitable for school wear. No student shall wear, possess, use, distribute, display or sell any clothing, jewelry, emblem, blade, symbols, sign or other things which are evidence of affiliation with drugs, alcohol, violence or gang related activities or exhibits profane or obscene language/gestures. Beards shall be prohibited. Policies regarding dress and grooming stress the importance of reducing distractions that inhibit learning and are addressed as an attempt to enhance the learning environment.
It shall be unlawful and against School Board policy for any student or non-student to wear or possess on his/her person, at any time, body armor on any School Board property, school campus, at a school-sponsored function, on a school bus or other school transportation, or in a firearm-free zone, with limited exception as enumerated in La. Rev. Stat. Ann. §14:95.9. School-sponsored functions shall include, but not be limited to, athletic competitions, dances, parties, or any extracurricular activities. A firearm-free zone means any area within one thousand feet of any school campus and within a school bus.
Body armor shall mean bullet-resistant metal or other material intended to provide protection from weapons or bodily injury.
The School Board shall notify all students of the provisions of this policy.
Parents should not rely on stores for information regarding Iberia Parish uniforms. Parents should call their school or the Iberia Parish School System Central Office for information before buying questionable uniforms.
• White, navy blue, or hunter green short-sleeved or long-sleeved polo “golf” style shirts.
• The shirt must have only 2 or 3 buttons and a collar.
• Shirts must be tucked in at all times, unless otherwise determined by the school administration.
• There can be no brand name emblems on the shirts.
• Undershirts, including turtlenecks, may be worn under all uniform shirts. They must be free of all emblems and writings and be a uniform shirt color, black, or grey.
• Students will wear khaki or navy blue pants, capri pants, shorts, skirts or skorts.
• Pants may have pleats or straight fronts.
• Skinny or tight-fitting pants are not allowed.
• Blue or khaki (denim material) jeans are not allowed.
• Pants with rivets, pockets sewn on the outside or on the lower legs, holes, fraying, or exaggerated size (not to exceed twenty-two inches (22”) circumference at the bottom with no slits) are not allowed.
• Waistbands on the pants must cover the top of the hipbone. “Sagging” is not allowed.
• Brand name emblems on pants shall not exceed 1” x 2” in size.
• Skirts, walking shorts, shorts, skorts, and capris shall have hemlines that do not exceed five inches (5”) from the floor while kneeling.
• Belts must be one solid color (black, brown, navy, khaki, white) and worn with pants that have belt loops.
• Decorative metal studs on belts are not allowed.
• Large oversized belt buckles are not allowed.
• Dimensions of belt buckle must not exceed one and one-half inches (1 ½”) in length and width.
• Solid navy blue, black, or grey sweatshirts or sweaters pullovers (elementary only) may be worn. They must be free of brand names and logos.
• Denim (blue jeans) jackets are not allowed.
• School issued items (jackets, sweaters, sweatshirts) may be worn.
• Sweatshirts and jackets must be approved by school administration.
• Non-uniform outerwear garments, if worn to school, shall not be worn inside the building.
• Hoods on outer garments and sweatshirts are allowed only for outdoors.
• Shoes must have a complete front and back.
• Athletic/tennis shoes are highly recommended.
• Other examples of acceptable shoes are loafers, Top-Siders, and Mary Janes with a strap.
• The following shoes are not allowed – flip-flops, thongs, sandals, crocs, boots, ballet shoes, and slippers.
• Shoes with laces or Velcro must be kept tied or fastened.
• Shoes with roller blades, lights, or extraordinary features are not allowed.
• Socks shall be solid in color (white, navy, khaki, brown, or black.)
• Pom-poms or emblems on socks are not allowed.
• Tights that match the uniform may be worn without socks.
• Hair should be clean and groomed so that vision is not obstructed.
• Hair rollers, feathers, *Unnatural hair colors, letters/designs shaved or woven into the head/eyebrows, or other extremes in hair styles are not allowed. (*Unnatural is defined as not naturally occurring on people.)
• High school students are permitted to have neat, clean, and trimmed mustaches.
• Beards are not allowed. Side burns cannot extend below the earlobe.
• Goatees are not allowed.
• Must not be excessive.
• Nose rings/studs, body piercing with jewelry, tongue studs, eyebrow rings, gauges, etc. are not allowed.
• Stud earrings worn by students are limited to the earlobe.
• Only school IDs shall be worn on the outside of the school shirts.
• Tattoos must not be visible with the school uniform.
• Students who transfer into Iberia Parish will be allowed two (2) weeks to purchase uniforms and comply with the policy.
• Sunglasses, hats, caps, scarves, or any other type of head-gear cannot be worn in any of the buildings or busses at any time.
• Spirit Day shirts may be worn with approved pants, skirts, shorts, or skorts on designated days as determined by the principal.
Students who violate the student dress code policy shall be subject to the following consequences:
Warning to the student and the parent shall be contacted by the school administrators to pick up their child and provide uniform clothing.
Student shall be referred to the Adjustment Center for no more than two (2) days. The work completed in the Adjustment Center will be graded.
The student shall be referred to the Adjustment Center for three (3) days and the work completed will not be graded.
Continuous violation shall result in the student being referred to the Alternative Program.
The restrictiveness of these guidelines are intended to establish minimum standards required to comply with the dress code established herein. The principals/administrator has the discretionary power to prohibit certain dress or appearance, even though not specifically enumerated herein, to maintain the school learning environment. Students who violate the student dress code policy shall be disciplined according to the school’s PBIS Plan.
Ref: Scott v. Board of Education, 304 N.Y.S.S. 2d 601 (1969); Karr v. Schmidt: 460 F. 2d 609 (5th Cir. 1972); La. Rev. Stat. Ann. §§14:95.9, 17:81, 17:416.7; Board minutes, 2-16-75, 1-6-99, 2-00, 4-18-12.
In all questions regarding dress and grooming, the administration has the prerogative of deciding whether a student's appearance is disruptive to the learning process, or so offensive or suggestive as to distract other students. Such appearance will not be allowed. Any student who repeatedly has to be warned of violating the dress code will be subject to disciplinary action as noted.
FOR IBERIA PARISH SCHOOL UNIFORMS
" SHOP IBERIA FIRST "